And good evening! My husband found this soup recipe last week and we wanted to test it out. Originally adapted from a PaleoLeap recipe, I made some small tweaks and it turned into a vegan dish! It is perfectly delightful! Zucchini’s are in season, so try this fabulous soup tonight! We had it alongside a filling Kale salad that was simply dressed with tahini, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- 3 medium Zucchinis – leave the skins on – cut into large chunks
- 1 Onion, quartered
- 2 cloves of Garlic (chopped)
- 4 cups Vegetable Stock
- 2 tbsp. Coconut Milk (this is preferable because of its fuller fat, but other non-dairy milk can be considered… just being mindful of allergies)
- Coconut Oil (or a high heat, healthy cooking oil i.e. avocado, grapeseed…)
- 1 teaspoon of Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon of freshly ground Black Pepper
- Heat coconut oil (or the cooking oil of choice) in a saucepan placed over a medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic and zucchinis and cook about 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock, season to taste with salt and pepper, and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat, cover, and let simmer until the zucchinis are tender, around 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, add the coconut milk (or non-dairy milk of choice), and purée with an immersion blender (or pour into a Vitamix, or a high-powered blender).
- Continue to adjust the seasoning if need be and serve hot.
PRINT RECIPE: Creamy Vegan Zucchini Soup
So what’s so cool about Zucchini…
Zucchini has high water content and are low in calories. They are a source of folate, potassium, and vitamins A and C. Zucchini can lower cholesterol, help prevent cancer as it helps with oxidative stress, is an anti-inflammatory and is a powerful antioxidant, assists in prostate health with its phytonutrients, reduces the risk of heart attack, stroke and lowers blood pressure, AND is high in manganese, which is key in supporting ALL of the above prevention.